We go the extra mile for safety.
At Lyft, safety is our top priority. From background checks to our first-of-its-kind $1M liability insurance, we go above and beyond to create a more safe community. Learn more about our safety measures below:
DMV record checks
Every driver who applies to become a part of the community is screened for criminal offenses and driving incidents. The criminal background check includes national, county level and national sex offender databases.
Driving record check
- Age 23 or older with US driver’s license for one or more years
- Valid personal auto insurance that meets or exceeds state requirements
- No more than two moving violations in the past three years (accidents, traffic light violations)
- No major violations in the past three years (driving on suspended license, speeding 21+ MPH over the limit, etc.)
- No DUI or other drug-related driving violations or severe infractions in the past seven years (driving faster than 100 MPH) and no more than one severe infraction on your lifetime driving history
- No extreme infractions on your lifetime driving history (hit-and-run, felonies involving a vehicle)
- History of reckless driving not falling into one of the above categories, will also disqualify a potential driver
- No violent crimes
- No sexual offenses
- No theft
- No property damage
- No felonies
The Lyft platform provides drivers with excess liability insurance up to $1,000,000 per occurrence. This first-of-its-kind solution offers peace of mind for both drivers and passengers.
Cars must be model year 2000 or newer and each must pass our vehicle safety inspection before a driver hits the road.
It’s all about community
Passengers and drivers rate each other after every ride. If you rate a driver below 4 stars, you’ll never be matched with that driver again. If a driver's average falls below 4½ out of 5 stars, they are removed from the Lyft community. It's our way of maintaining high-quality standards.